Releasing RAM-DISK to free system memory

wtm at neoucom.UUCP wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Sat Jan 24 13:56:52 AEST 1987

I have a ramdisk called, appropriately, RAMDISK that I have been
using on the 6300 / msdos 3.1 for several months.  I have never
enountered any problems.  The nice feature is that you specify the
size you wat from 1 to about 500K.  It is two pieces, a part called
RAMDRV.SYS which you mention in your CONFIG.SYS file that is always
there, but not much of a penalty at only 512 bytes.  The handler is
RAMDISK.COM which accepts a numeric argument or the word "off" to
disable the ram drive.  The arc'ed files and docs are about 4K in
size, so mail or call me if you want `em.  One handy use of RAMDISK
is to eat up memory for some of those older programs around that
wrap around to zero at 512K.

Best wishes,
Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm at neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

PS:  I got the program mentioned above from a posting in
net.sources early in 1986.