Kanji query

tjt at twitch.UUCP tjt at twitch.UUCP
Tue Mar 10 00:05:13 AEST 1987

In article <13050002 at acf4.UUCP>, leonard at acf4.UUCP (shanna leonard) writes:
>      Does anyone know if ATT supports or plans to support the
>      Kanji (Japanese) character set in the near (or not so near)
>      future?

Enclosed is a reply I received from a friend who works at AT&T in Japan,
after telling him of the above query.
************
AT&T provides support for Japanese language processing through
a product called the Japanese Application Environment (JAE),
which was developed and licensed through AT&T Unix Pacific, Co.,
Tokyo, Japan.   JAE is a source product, which is licensed in
much the same way that UNIX(r) System V is licensed.

JAE provides an environment where user application programs can
process data that includes Japanese characters.  This includes:

1. Entering Japanese characters as data into the system.
2. Processing Japanese characters in pathnames and as data for
   most commands.
3. Handling output to Japanese terminals and printers.
4. Documentation in Japanese, including:  User's Manual, Programmer's
   manual, and the System Administrator's Reference Manual.

AT&T Unix Pacific also licenses a supported source release of the
Korn Shell with international capability.

There was a demonstration at the AT&T booth at Uniforum of a single
system running 4 languages: English, Japanese, Korean, and German.
This was done using software that is currently under development.
With the appropriate i/o devices, this software will support any
language that can use one of the ISO codesets.

For more information about the JAE and international KSH products:

In the USA: 	AT&T Information Systems
		UNIX Software Licensing
		P.O. Box 25000
		Greensborough, N.C.  27420