96 TPI drives (was Re: ATT 6300 clock)

psfales at ihlpl.UUCP psfales at ihlpl.UUCP
Tue Mar 3 00:53:41 AEST 1987

In article <3158 at gitpyr.gatech.EDU>, jkg at gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) writes:
> In article <389 at neoucom.UUCP> wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> >I boot.  I'm thinking about changing over to a
> >96 TPI drive, and want DOS 3.2 for DRIVER.SYS.

I don't think it is strictly necessary to go to DOS 3.2 for the 96 tpi
drives.  I have been using a 96 tpi drive in my 6300 by using DOS 3.1 and
an installable driver written by a company in California called Western
Systems and Components.  I can't recommend  their driver because it
doesn't work (I had to disassemble and rewrite some key parts of it
it to get it to work), but onced fixed it works very well.  Sure cuts
down the number of backup disks.

This at least indicates that the concept is valid.

The company has claimed for several months to be working on an improved
version that fixes the bugs, but I have not seen anything yet.  They
also claim that the driver will read both 40 and 80 track disks in the
80 track drive, but that also does not work on the 6300.  If anyone
has pointers to similar software, I would be interested in hearing about
it.
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784