Major security problem in the UA: looking for a real fix

Prentiss Riddle riddle at woton.UUCP
Thu Feb 4 03:11:45 AEST 1988

In article <2017 at bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

> The UNIX PC was supposed to be a personal computer (i.e. a computer
> owned and operated by an individual for the individual's own use)
> running UNIX.  The lack of strenuous security is in keeping with
> this philosophy.

Sorry, but I don't consider that argument good enough.  AT&T sold us
the UNIX PC for use in a multi-user office/research environment, and
its chief selling point was that it was a personal computer running
UNIX.  Any machine which runs UNIX should have (at least!) normal UNIX
security.  If we had wanted the vulnerability to error and abuse of the
security-free DOS world, we would have bought a DOS machine.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
--- riddle at woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle