why is 3b1 screen so SLOW ?

Richard Stevens stevens at hsi.UUCP
Sat Feb 27 13:20:06 AEST 1988

Why is the 3b1's screen so slow ??  Just cat'ing a big file
to the screen shows a baud rate of only about 5500.
I'd guess its something to do with the window driver that
gets loaded by default.  Is there any way to disable this
when its not needed - I'd be willing to give up the date,
time and phone status, for example, when using cu, so that
I can get something near the 9600+ baud of the Telebit modem ...

Also, what is everyone else using with Telebits, instead of
cu and the (ugh) ATE package ??  The ATE can't even keep up with the
1200 baud OBM and cu can't keep up with a Telebit.  The problem with
cu is that its doing a read() of 1 byte at a time from the modem,
followed by a write() of that single byte to the screen.  The system
call overhead destroys its throughput.  I really don't want to have
to write a terminal emulator for the system ...  (Is the ATE an
AT&T product ?  I can't believe anyone let a package like this
out the door.)

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           { uunet | ihnp4 } ! hsi ! stevens