CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE

itkin at cup.portal.com itkin at cup.portal.com
Fri Feb 19 14:11:12 AEST 1988

>cu -ltty81 gets me a connected message, while cu -ltty14 gets "CAN'T
>ACCESS DEVICE".   ???
>
>I switched the wires between tty81 and 14.  Now cu -ltty[either] gets
>the "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".  ???
>
>(Oh, I rebooted after making the changes to /etc/inittab.)
>
>Can anyone shed some light here?  Thanks.
>
>--
>Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh

First, since you're running uugetty, are you also running uugetty on the
other systems?  My understanding of uugetty is that they must be paired.
Thus, if the UNIX PC is running getty, you may get into a feedback loop
and the port may shutdown.  Clearly, there is something wrong with the
connection to pc0.

Second thought is have you verified that the cable to pc0 is a good
cable.  The cabling on the 3B2 is a little different, and a cable that
works for a 3b2<->3b2 connection probably wouldn't work directly with a
UNIX PC.  If you switch the cables BEFORE booting, does the connection
to mc3 (what the system thinks is pc0) work?

Good Luck.