Hayes modem for 3B2

Walt Cooksey walt at cooksys.UUCP
Sat Feb 27 00:18:37 AEST 1988

In article <2765 at chinet.UUCP> randy at chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
..Well, I'm all for getting gratitude, undying or other, but what seems to
..be the problem?  Set up the port with SYSADM, hook up the modem, send it
..the AT string tha silences the bugger (ATE0Q1), and you should be in
..business.
.
.This was discussed at length a while ago.  The problem is that the Hayes
.compatible modems do not handle CD and DTR properly, so that you
.cannot get a 3b2 to dial out AND have the hayes drop and raise CD
.properly for dial-in.  There are modems that work with the 3b2, and
.there is a hardware hack to make the hayes work.
.
.-randy
.--
.that's the biz, sweetheart.....
.Randy Suess
...!ihnp4!chinet!randy

Hayes does handle CD and DTR properly, if it is programmed correctly.
The following strign is the correct setup for SCO Xenix V.  I assume
that it will work with most others as well.

ATS0=1D2E0Q1S1=1&W

Leave off the S1=1 and S0=1 if you don't want it to answer.

I have found that if you can not communicate with the modem, you can not
program it.  You may have to program it elsewhere and install it.  But it
will/does work correctly on 3B2s.

Walt

--
Walt Cooksey		COOKSEY SYSTEMS, INC		(404) 469-2321
			uunet!cooksys!walt		CIS 76010,522