Fan reversal on 3b1/7300

Charles A. Sefranek c4s at rayssdb.ray.com
Thu Feb 18 22:54:40 AEST 1988

In article <409 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:

>Problem:  I live in an old, dusty house w/o central air or heat (eg: no
>filtering for the air). ...
>Solution (of a sort):  Reverse the fan and add a easily removeable filter.
>We had a Northstar and a Motorola S8000 at my old job, and they both
>had filtered air blown through them.   Why not 3b1's and PC's?

	A lot of manufacturers design the air flow this way so the heat
generated by the fan motor itself doesn't get injected into the equipment,
adding to the cooling burden. Fans give off a surprising amount of heat !

>Anybody tried this (and know an easy way to do it including Radio
>Shack part #'s :-) ) / see any problems with doing this?

	It shouldn't be a problem. When I opened up my machine the *ONE*
fan was just resting in place with some foam tape around it to cushion
and (presumably) quiet it. Just flip the fan around ...

--
	(Cute signature currently under construction...)

	Charlie Sefranek		c4s at rayssdb.RAY.COM
			{cbosgd,gatech,necntc,ukma}!rayssd!rayssdb!c4s