Hayes modem for 3B2

Jan Harrington sysop at stech.UUCP
Sat Feb 20 22:12:36 AEST 1988

in article <220 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) says:

> In article <449 at stech.UUCP> sysop at stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
> |Please help.  I've got a 2400 baud Hayes-compatible modem, an AT&T 3B2/400, and
> |Unix System V version 3.0.  I desperately need to get this modem working --
> |bidirectionally.  Upgrading to 3.1 isn't possible at this time (absolutely
> |_NO_ money available).  Is there any way to do this?
> |
> |The person who knows the answer will have my undying gratitude!!!!
>
> Well, I'm all for getting gratitude, undying or other, but what seems to
> be the problem?  Set up the port with SYSADM, hook up the modem, send it
> the AT string tha silences the bugger (ATE0Q1), and you should be in
> business.  But perhaps you've done this and still have a problem?

It's a MAJOR problem - as shipped, the Hayes dialer won't support
bidirectional transmissions.  This modem is for a machine that runs a
bulletin board, which means it must answer the phone unattended.  It also
polls another system for news, which means it must dial out unattended.
There is only one phone line in and out of this machine (no - I can't add
another one - no wiring in the house!)

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai