Trailblazer gets mad at AT&T 3b1 OBM (on board modem)

Kenneth P. Stox stox at ttrde.UUCP
Wed Feb 3 01:14:26 AEST 1988

In article <986 at neoucom.UUCP> wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>. . .  When the trailblazer placed the data call at
>1200 baud into the 3b1 OBM, it thought that the 3b1 had MNP
>protocol, as reported by the Telebit's "CONNECT 1200/REL".  At that
>point, the Trailblazer locked up, and I had to drop the DTR lead to
>get it to disconnect. . . .
>So the question is, is the 3b1's OBM really supposed to be an MNP
>modem, and this 3b1 is sick?

I have had the exact same experience using the MicroCom 9424C. The
only solution was to disable the "Auto-Reliable" mode on the
MicroCom. Apparently, something about the OBM on the 3B1 convinces
the MNP modem that it is also a MNP modem.

So, to answer your question, your OBM is fine, your 3B1 probably
healthy. If someone out there in netland has a copy of the MNP
specification, maybe you can let us in on why it behaves this
way.

-Ken Stox