MNP Auto-Reliable mode (was Re: Trailblazer gets mad at AT&T 3b1 OBM (on board modem))

David Keaton dmk at dmk3b1.UUCP
Thu Feb 4 17:07:11 AEST 1988

In article <327 at ttrde.UUCP> stox at ttrde.UUCP (Kenneth P. Stox) writes:
>I have had the exact same experience using the MicroCom 9424C. The
>only solution was to disable the "Auto-Reliable" mode on the
>MicroCom. Apparently, something about the OBM on the 3B1 convinces
>the MNP modem that it is also a MNP modem.

After some more experimenting, I think it is even simpler than that.  If
the getty for the answering modem fires up soon enough, the characters
that the originating MNP modem sends out get echoed back.

The MNP modem sees itself in the mirror and says "Hey, there's another
guy out there just like me!"  What a protocol.
--
					David Keaton
					dmk%dmk3b1 at uunet.uu.net
					uunet!dmk3b1!dmk