Backup/restore of customized 3b2/600 root partition

Peyton Yanchurak pwy at pyuxe.UUCP
Mon Feb 1 14:58:13 AEST 1988

In article <590 at ambush.UUCP>, kimcm at ambush.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) writes:
> Does anybody have information about:
>
> 	1) The layout of the AT&T supplied installation tape.
> 	2) How to solve the problem of installing a customized
> 	   root-partition.  (Sources to implement such a solution will
> 	   be greatly appreciated).
As far as I can deduce (and I may be wrong), the installation tape
laods a very small striped down root file system on to a small partion on
one of the hard disks (the partition reserved for installing
packages). It then boots from this small partition. It then
partitions the disks and creates the real root and usr file systems.
Finaly it lets you load in the selectable software packages.

You can create a bootable floppy that includes a few carefully
chosen programs (you don't have much space).  You boot from
the floppy, partion the hard disk (if necessary) and volcopy
the orignal root partition from the backup cartrage tape
to the hard disk.

If you have a second scsi controller (not necessarly a second
host adapter card), and an extrnal hard disk, you could have a backup
bootable root file system.  Your task would then be very simple.
The rule for booting off of scsi disks on the 3b2/600 is that
you can boot off of the first disk hanging off of a scsi controller
(not the host adapter card).

				Peyton Yanchurak
				Bellcore
				bellcore!pyuxe!pwy