AT&T unix pc Calendar program

gary sarff gsarff at argus.UUCP
Thu Feb 18 17:06:21 AEST 1988

This message is in response to a few I saw the other day about the calendar
program for the AT&T unix pc /3b1, but I don't have those messages on my
system anymore, so to whom it may concern and for whatever this might be
worth:  I bought a 7300 last fall at the AT&T firesale price and also
dutifully sent in my warranty cards and also have not received the so-called
free calendar program mentioned in the manual.  But a few weeks after I had
gotten my pc, browsing around logged in as root I discovered an "unreadable"
directory on my disk.  /etc/fixes, using ls showed all -'s in the permissions
no one had permission to do anything to it, and it was owned by root.  Inside
I found,... a calendar program also owned by root.  I made it publically
executable and put a link to it in /usr/bin and in my own Filecabinet
director for the user agent, fired up my user agent, and clicked on pcal
(the name of the program) and voila, a neat iconic, mouse based calendar
came up.  I don't know how this is different than the free one we were promised
or if this is a typical experience, if anyone else has it, but it seems to
be totally functional, and a pretty nice tool, you can click to get a whole
month at a glance, with previous and next months too, or a week or a day
with slots for each hour all of which can have arbitrary notes attached to
any day, hour, etc, with also settable alarms.  It would be interesting
to hear if anyone else has this floating around on their disks or if this
is common knowledge that I missed out on.  8-)