More memory on 7300

gary sarff gsarff at ssdis.UUCP
Mon May 2 06:33:11 AEST 1988

In article <3645 at zodiac.UUCP>, jdevries at zodiac.ads.com (Jeff De Vries) writes:
> The standard 7300 comes with 0.5M using 64Kbit chips.  I have been told
> that there is space (solder pads?) on the motherboard for another 0.5M
> using 64Kbit chips.

I have heard this several times from people here, but I have opened my
unix-pc, (soon after I got it last summer) and it has 1 meg of ram and
there is space (solder pads) on the mother board for another set of chips.
I am pretty sure I am not mistaken, the chips say 41256 on them (can't
remember if they are 120ns or 150ns) and there are 36 of them. 4 rows
of 9 (making 256K with parity), when the system is booting it says
something like free memory 1048576.  A friend in New York bought one
too and his also says this.  But I remember reading the literature about
the 7300 years back and it did say 512K of ram with more on expander cards.
So what gives, do we have mutant 7300's?  Are we using 3b1 motherboards,
(which I was told were slightly different)?  We also have two fans, I have
heard some mention that their unixpc's have only 1.

--
Gary Sarff           {uunet|ihnp4|philabs}!spies!ssdis!gsarff
To program is human, to debug is something best left to the gods.