UNIX-PC Unix version (2 or 3)

David C. Albrecht dca at kesmai.COM
Wed May 4 11:34:03 AEST 1988

> > ... Had the PC succeeded,
> > the plan was to make release 4 of the UNIX-PC software compatible with
> >

> 	Had the PC succeeded? Mine succeeds just fine. In my view there
> 	is an enormous gulf between what AT&T sees as a success and true
> 	success. The measure of computers should not be entrusted to so
> 	many greedy bean counters.

Working just fine and succeeding are two different issues and I dare say
greed has little to do with it.  In the UNIX PC AT&T tried to promote the
rather absurd concept that business users should pay more for an O/S they
didn't understand on single brand hardware with limited applications.
Business users are interested in applications not O/Ss and justly the UNIX
PC landed with a resounding thud.  Even as a low end workstation it was
simply too pricey and with its only fair performance was generally
greeted with ho-hum (remember now that the original 7300 1/2M 20M machine
went for 5K+).  AT&T simply doesn't have the marketing savy and production
efficiency to be a price leader where the machine may have made a dent.
So now, AT&T has reduced the price of the 7300/3b1 machines to the point
that they are selling for less than they cost to produce to get rid of the
inventory before they are so mouldy as to be worth nothing to nobody.
Certainly, this is a great deal for those of us who are willing to accept
its limitations in exchange for a great price.  Certainly, it is a quite
repectable unix box.  A success?  The amount of money AT&T lost on the
UNIX PC was probably phenomenal (to us mortals anyway).  If your idea of a
success is a product and pricing that people like but the company loses its
shirt on I hope you stay out of corporate America (they have enough
problems).

David Albrecht