DOS Tasks under Unix: Let's hear about it!

~XT4103000~Marc Mengel~C25~G25~6184~ mmengel at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Sat May 21 00:44:57 AEST 1988

In article <5622 at chinet.UUCP> les at chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
$>First a  little background -- VP/ix provides  a virtual IBM PC
$>with floppy drives, a C: and D: hard drive, and the Unix file
$>system as a NETBIOS network shared drive.  You have a video
$>adaptor -- either whatever is on your console if you run on the console,
$>or a Monochrome adaptor card if you run it from a serial port.
$>Virtual DOS devices can be mapped to unix files/devices via a
$>config file.
$
$Can anyone say how much of a Netbios interface is presented by VP/ix?
$In limited testing I have found that 2 Dos versions of kermit 2.30
$(which can talk across a real netbios network) cannot connect to
$each other under VP/ix.  More surprising, Microsoft word and chart,
$which know how to release print jobs on a real network, do not do so under
$VP/ix.  You have to pop up the control menu and manually force the
$print jobs to be passed to the unix spooler.  Perhaps I missed something
$in the setup?

Perhaps I was not clear here -- you are provided with a *redirector*
which acts like a NETBIOS redirector; you are not provided with a
full Netbios emulation.

$  Les Mikesell

--
 Marc Mengel

 attmail!mmengel
 ...!{moss|lll-crg|mtune|ihnp4}!cuuxb!mmengel