DOS Tasks under Unix: Let's hear about it!

Guerry A. Semones gas at ecsvax.UUCP
Thu May 19 03:31:43 AEST 1988

Okay folks, AT&T's 386 based unix for their work group series has
been available for a short while.  Sun has announced and begun to
ship their 386i Roadrunner series.  We're starting to see more and
more 386 based machines running unix with dos as a subtask.  Some
of us have these machines.  Some of us have only seen the demos.
And some of us have only Heard about them.
    How about some of you that have the fortune/misfortune (?) to
have this type of setup, let us know what you have been able to do
with these machines.
    Several questions come to mind.  I've heard bunches about com-
patibility, ie. will it run lotus, flight simulator, etc?  But how
about that all important question: How fast does the dos subtask
perform?
    Has someone tryed putting a large dos application up as a dos
subtask to Unix and seeing how well it performs?  Perhaps a massive
system like PC-SAS, or some other memory-hungry, large database
system?
    I'd like to know your impressions of how well the dos subtasks
perform, and what kinds of performance impacts you have seen.
    If any of you who have this equipment could do this it would be
greatly appreciated by those of us who are investigating getting some
of this type of systems.
    Thanks in advance for your insights....
--
 Guerry A. Semones                 BITNET: drogo at tucc.BITNET
 Information Services              USENET: gas at ecsvax