MS Word on UNIX PC comments ?

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at gryphon.CTS.COM
Tue May 24 11:31:30 AEST 1988

In article <184 at gizzmo.UUCP> mark at gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
>In article <7975 at ihlpa.ATT.COM> cga66 at ihlpa.ATT.COM (Kauffold) writes:
>>If you are stuck with the UNIX PC, Word may be the best you can do.
>>I don't know of any similar editors (Word Perfect) which is available
>>on the UNIX PC. Of course, there are EMACS and vi.
>
>Dont forget WordStar 2000.  It IS available for the 3b1 and is perf[e]ct
>for the person who doesnt want to learn the OS.

In recent days, I've learned the harsh reality of investing in a
discontinued machine.  I talked to Word Perfect's UNIX division and asked
about availability on the UNIX PC.  I was told that it isn't on the porting
schedule (the 6386 comes first), but that they get lots of calls from UNIX
PC owners.  The woman I talked with suggested us writing to:

Scott Worthington
UNIX Division
Word Perfect
228 W. Center St.
Orem, UT  84057

and requesting a port to our machine.  It's hard for people to go from
using Word Perfect to vi/nroff, especially if mental capacity is lacking.

I was also interested in purchasing Oracle and doing a networked DBMS.
Oracle is nice enough to have done a port, but their refusal to port the
networking module cost them the sale.

I _have_ found lots of accounting packages available for our orphan, but
the cost is staggering (to me, at least).  I can get Peachtree for MS-DOS
for about $300.  Everything I've seen for Unix is $2500+.  Anyone know of
any low-cost packages?

...Jim Gottlieb  <jimmy at PIC.UCLA.EDU>  or  <jimmy at denwa.UUCP>