<SHIFT><PRINT> oddities on the Unix PC

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Mon May 23 09:22:25 AEST 1988

Hi there,

This one is a bit difficult to explain because I can't show you the
print-out. That'll have to wait for the gigabyte/sec NSFnet, I
suppose.

I finally got around to hooking up my HP deskjet printer to the
parallel port on impulse (my 3b1 at home).  I had a lot of trouble
with the printer administation.  After using Install to set up the
printer, the mouse buttons started acting irratically.  The work-
aorunt was to log in as root and run /usr/bin/lpsetup manually.  No
big deal really.  For some reason, running lpsetup separately from
ye olde user agent prevents the breakage of the mouse.  I should
mention that the W icon at the upper right quit working, but the
<suspend> key still worked.  The only way, to set things right was
to reboot; I didn't feel like killing and restarting the daemons
manually, and I didn't trust that anyway.

Well, now for the real part of the story.  I thought I'd try the
bitmapped screen dump as described in the owner's manual by doing a
<shift><print>.  Worked fine rendering a user agent screen.  I
logged back in (I hate ua, and I don't have windy).  I did the same
thing from kermit terminal emulator running on a full screen Unix.
What was strange was that the status garbage that was supposed to
be on line 1 was there.  The sysinfo display I had running in lines
26 & 27 was there.  What should have been in lines 2-25 was offest
by about 10 lines.  That is, the 10 previous lines that had
scrolled out of full screen Unix were in lines 2-11, while 12-25
had what should have been in lines 1-16.  Hmmmm...

Has anybody seen this one?  Anybody know which of the daemons it is
that does the screen dump?, wmgr I suppose.

Thanks for lending me an ear.

--Bill
  wtm at neoucom.UUCP