UUCP on Unix PC V 3.51

Chuck Gendrich gendrich at eecae.UUCP
Thu May 26 07:06:09 AEST 1988

In article <140 at ssdis.UUCP> gsarff at ssdis.UUCP (gary sarff) writes:
> ... About 150K into the
> file uucico (running in the background from my shell) says:
> r short 2 want 3
> rcount=0
> xcount=0
>
> This is an error message?

Yes, this is an error message.  Sounds like a checksum was bad or
something.

> ... The LOGFILE in /usr/lib/uucp says INPUT ERROR IN SEND/SLAVE mode

When your system calls another one and starts up uucico, one side goes
into SLAVE mode and the other side goes into MASTER mode.

> which is odd because I am starting uucico as
> /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -s<system> &  (to fork into the background)
> doesn't this make me master (role=1) and I am receiving a file not sending
> it.

The -r flag sets the number of times to retry, not which mode to enter
during the transfer.  Your system logs into the other one, therefore the
other one goes into MASTER mode.  After both sides agree on which UUCP
protocol to use, the MASTER sends any files which he may have lying
around.  Then it asks "What do you want?".  Your <local> system, the
SLAVE, says "Please send me this file.", and the transfer is on.

You can look at what's happening during a UUCP if you use

	uucico -r1 -s<system> -x9   2>  FileName
	tail -f FileName

(Then you'll have the record of the transactions as well as being able
to look at what's going on while it's happening.  Tee doesn't work for
this since the uucico output is going to stderr.)

If you use a smaller value with the debug flag (-x), you'll get less
verbose output.

Any more comments from out in net.land?

			CHuck
CHuck Gendrich          ARPA and CSnet: gendrich at msudoc.egr.msu.edu
5752 Richwood, #76              Usenet: {ihnp4, umich, well}!msudoc!gendrich
Lansing, MI 48911      phone: (517) 882-6027 (h)  353-3969 (w)
  - Don't talk with mIKE, or he'll convince you to get your own!!! :-}