7300 expansion

James E. Prior jep at oink.UUCP
Tue May 3 02:51:22 AEST 1988

In article <139 at arnold.UUCP> dave at arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>In article <2697 at bsu-cs.UUCP>, jbwaters at bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:
>> What I would like to know is how hard is
>> it to add memory to the 7300?
>
>Probably easier than putting toast in a toaster, but a little
>expensive.  Look at paying around $300 for a 512k ram upgrade, and
>about $800 for a 2meg ram upgrade.  I paid $250 for 512k ram upgrade
>(USED).

This depends very much on whether 64K or 256K DRAM chips.  If they used
256K chips, then you remove the solder from the unpopulated places and solder
in new ones.  If they used 64K chips, then you have to remove all of them
and replace them with 256K chips.  You also have to add some driver chips
and change some jumpers.

I do have the instructions for the 64K to 256K chip upgrade somewhere in
my archives.  I'll probably dredge it out when I get my UNIX-PC.  Yup, I
ordered one of the $495 specials also.

--
Jim Prior    {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!oink!jep    jep at oink.UUCP

Pointers are my friend.