DOS Tasks under Unix: Let's hear about it!

~XT4103000~Marc Mengel~C25~G25~6184~ mmengel at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Wed May 25 01:12:13 AEST 1988

In article <3488 at tekgvs.TEK.COM> keithe at tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:

>>                   Twiddling hardware registers *works* under
>>VP/ix-Simultask386, but is slower since it must be *emulated*.

>I tried installing PC-NFS under VP/ix (well, it's like this: I had a
>network interface card that PC-NFS would drive (an NI5010) and none that
>VP/ix a la' Micom-Interlan would drive an NP-600) ) and no matter what
>I did the diagnostics kept coming back saying it couldn't find the
>interface card at the address I was telling it to use. I assumed it was
>getting mapped to someplace else. Perhaps it was just timing out?

No... The only hardware registers that are emulated are the ones hard
coded into the emulation -- the floppy controller, serial interface (COM1:)
interrupt controller, etc.  You see only the "hardware" provided by
the emulation, not what is in the machine.  For example, in the config
file you can tell Simultask-VP/ix that floppy drive B: should be
mapped onto the file /tmp/floppyb.  You can then start up the dos
emulation and work with floppy drive B: *even if you have no second
floppy drive in your machine*.   The drive B: here is complete fiction
provided by the DOS emulation -- as are *all* of the emulated devices.
Some of them just *happen* to get mapped onto real devices.

--
 Marc Mengel

 attmail!mmengel
 {lll-crg|mtune|ihnp4}!cuuxb!mmengel