UNIX PC Graphics Questions

Bob Rose rrr at naucse.UUCP
Tue May 17 10:00:53 AEST 1988

In article <267 at uncle.UUCP>, jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
> In article <2271 at inco.UUCP> todd at inco.UUCP (Todd O'Connell) writes:
> > [Is there any way to directly access screen memory?]

> The UNIXpc screen memory is located at $420000, and the only way to access
> that area of memory would be through a loadable driver. This kind of access
> would screw up the window manager's view of things.

What about opening `/dev/mem' for reading and writing.
Note, I'm note responsible if you miss the screen and hit
the drive controller crashing your hard disk.

There is an `ioctl' that allows you to get and put thing on the
screen.

BTW Does anyone know the location or symbol name of the x and y values
of the mouse in `/dev/kmem.' There should be a way to open
`/dev/kmem' (for reading only) and get these values. Using
the tty driver is very SLOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!! (version 3.51)