"ph" and the driver - more and more bugs.

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Tue May 17 11:27:34 AEST 1988

Here are some more weird things I noticed with the phone manager (/etc/ph)
and the driver itself.

My phone line configuration is such that the LINE 2 is used for DATA and
LINE 1 for VOICE.  From time to time, I toggle (phtoggle) or line select
so that I can use LINE 2 to dial out voice.  This happened the other day.

----------------------
Problem/Observation 1:
----------------------
I typed, "phtoggle" - LINE 2 became "VOICE 2:IDLE" and was the active line
(ie. highlighted), then VOICE 1 rang "VOICE 1:<RING" and I picked up the
handset and LINE 1 automatically switched over to become the active voice.
(good so far).  I spoke with the person on the line, and then hung up.
LINE 1 remained the active voice, and LINE 2 still said. "VOICE 2:IDLE"
but was not highlighted.   There was no way for me to toggle back to LINE 2
with either the "Line Select (F3)" or phtoggle.  I couldn't get "DATA 2:"
back at all.  The only recourse I had was to "kill" the phone manager and
restart.

----------------------
Problem/Observation 2:
----------------------
I was playing today with some of the "obscure" features of the phone
driver.  I wanted to make the computer simulate the "RING" and not the
handset of the telephone connected to the VOICE line.  I remember there
being something in phone(7) so I picked up the manual to refresh my
memory.

The "c_feedback" element of the updata structure was the place I was
going.  I quickly conjured up a program to open the voice line, and
set the following bits.

Get the updata structure.
upd.c_feedback |= (SPEAKERON | RINGON | SOFTRNG | LOWRNG);
Set the updata structure.

**NOTE**      the SOFTRNG spelling, in the manual pages they call it SOFTRING,
              which is not correct.  Another typographical error is the
	      PIOCGETP and PIOCSETP ioctls which are listed as PIOGETP
	      and PIOSETP in the manual

I dialed my voice line, and wha-la it ringed.  How cute. (Why this isn't
a Preference in the Telephone stuff is beyond me).  But things were too quiet.

So I went to the other extreme.

Get the updata structure.
upd.c_feedback |= (SPEAKERON | RINGON | LOUDRNG | HIRNG);
Set the updata structure.

Dialed my voice line.  And to my dismay the RING was the same tone, volume
and pitch.  This shouldn't be according to the LOUDRNG and HIRNG bits.

I wonder if this is a bug or a problem with my programming.  At first
I thought it was that I still had the SOFTRNG and LOWRNG bits set, so I
cleared those and reset the c_feedback with the above statement.  No go.

Oh well.

-Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S