UNIX-PC Unix version (2 or 3)

Jon LaBadie jon at jonlab.UUCP
Sun May 1 13:26:55 AEST 1988

In article <953 at hsi.UUCP>, stevens at hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
> The 3b1 UNIX is truly a hybrid of System V, Release 2.0 (enhanced version)
> and System V, Release 3.0.  It contains the demand paging that came out
> with the enhanced version of System 5.2.  *But* it also contains
> mandatory (yes, mandatory) record locking, and shared libraries,
> which didn't officially appear until System 5.3.  However, it doesn't
> contain the other goodies that appeared with 5.3: RFS, Streams, TLI, TPI.
> It looks like they took the 3b1 release somewhere between 5.2 and 5.3.
I must strongly disagree!
True, paging and shared libraries (and record locking) are in both systems.
But both bats and birds fly.  This does not make them related.

The facilities mentioned were implemented by AT&T (for SVR3) and by
CT (for release 3.0 of the 7300) in totally independent environments.
Their solutions are not compatible, are implemented differently,
and are used differently.  I do not know of a single item, new to AT&T's
SVR3 that has been incorporated into the UNIX-PC.  Had the PC succeeded,
the plan was to make release 4 of the UNIX-PC software compatible with
SVR3.  HIGHLY unlikely that will happen now.

Release 3.5 was SUPPOSED to be SVR2 compatible!  However, there are
SOOOOOO many items in 3.5 that were not upgraded to SVR2, that I would
drop Richard's categorization of the UNIX-PC's software to between
5.0 and 5.2, not 5.2 and 5.2

Examples of NON-5.2 utilities include:
	cat
	ls