File Transfer Programs

Edward C. Bennett edward at engr.uky.edu
Tue May 10 01:59:48 AEST 1988

In article <5237 at mtune.ATT.COM> rkh at mtune.UUCP (Robert Halloran) writes:
>In article <2307 at ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward at engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a way to get either XMODEM, YMODEM or ZMODEM
>>capability on a 3b1?
>>The ATE has UMODEM built in to it. Is that close enough to X, Y or
>>Z to work? Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?

>UMODEM is for 'Unix Xmodem', and provides just that.

I tried this over the weekend and it works just fine.

>If you can come by the source for the PD package 'rz/sz' by Chuck Forsberg
>(caf at omen.uucp), that will provide Y and Zmodem capability for a Unix system,
>though I am unsure about how you could integrate this into ATE.

There is a file /usr/bin/umodem that I assume contains the UMODEM code.
Based on that, I assume the ATE forks off a umodem process and connects
stdin and stdout to it. If that's right, then, theoretically, you could
put a copy of rz inplace of /usr/bin/umodem. The ATE wouldn't know the
difference. No, I haven't tried it but it seems like a safe experiment
(I guess the worse that could happen is that the ATE could crash) so I'll
give it a shot when I get time.

Even if that works, you still only have one protocol available in the
<Shift><Cmd> menu of local commands. Why oh why can't we get the source...
Edward C. Bennett				DOMAIN: edward at engr.uky.edu
(606) 257-4938				UUCP: {cbosgd|uunet}!ukma!ukecc!edward
"Goodnight M.A."				BITNET: edward%ukecc.uucp at ukma
	"He's become a growling, snarling mass of white-hot canine terror"