File Transfer Programs

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Mon May 9 07:28:50 AEST 1988

In article <2307 at ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward at engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett)
writes:
|>Does anyone know of a way to get either XMODEM, YMODEM or ZMODEM
|>capability on a 3b1?

This can be done with any public domain file transfer protocol program.  I have
the one that was posted to comp.sources.misc a while back called "rz, sz"..
This supports Zmodem.  I have kermit.

|>The ATE has UMODEM built in to it. Is that close enough to X, Y or
|>Z to work? Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?

Umodem isn't built-in, it is called by the ATE software.  It resides in
/usr/bin/umodem.

$ umodem<CR>
UMODEM Version 2.8a
UNIX-Based Remote File Transfer Facility

Usage:
umodem -[rb!rt!sb!st][q][l][m][d][y][7] filename

rb <-- Receive Binary
rt <-- Receive Text
sb <-- Send Binary
st <-- Send Text
q  <-- Quiet mode
l  <-- (ell) Turn on LOG File Entries
m  <-- Allow file overwiting on receive
d  <-- Delete umodem.log File before starting
y  <-- Display file status (size) information only
7  <-- Enable 7-bit transfer mask

Umodem is the Xmodem protocol.

|>(Ever feel like there are two worlds, IBM and UNIX, with NO bridges
|>between them?)

You just need the right software between the two... it shouldn't be
that bad ;-)

Take care,
Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S