Serious OBM problems on 7300. Need HELP!

Brian Christianson bjchrist at convex.UUCP
Fri Nov 11 02:53:52 AEST 1988

I have a serious problem with my OBM on the 7300.  It has been working
flawlessly for 1.5 years but it suddenly stopped working.  Here are the
facts and I hope someone has a good idea, because I have run out of them.

PROBLEM:

	The status window for the phone manager no longer displays anything
(black space, not the half-tone background).  None of my autocall keys work
(shift F1 or F2) and entering Telephone Manager through UA results in
"Unable to Open Telephone Manager".  I CAN'T DIAL OUT ANYMORE......

1.  The OBM passes all diagnostics (modem and dialer).
2.  I wrote a short program that dials (dial(3)) a number and
that works as well.
3.  "cu -l /dev/ph0 1234567" hangs forever.
4.  I have the "Telephone Section of Hardware Configuration" set-up
properly (it never changed).
5.  When I kill and restart "/etc/ph", the status window clears to
all half-tone and then goes black again.
6.  "/etc/ph" is always RUNNING (process status is "R") and constantly
gathering  cpu time.  (No error messages or nothing pops out).
7.  Other people can log in on the port, I can't dial-out using
the normal procedure.
8.  I completely restored the entire filesystem from scratch, nothing
changed.
9.  If someone has a good idea and would like to dial-in to poke
around, call me collect at 301-437-6231 or email to
"uunet!convex!c1east!dale" and I will arrange for a login on the machine.

Dale Lancaster
Frustrated 7300 Owner/User