Async Term Emulator Problems

Jeffrey L Bromberger jeffrey at ccnysci.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 23:54:06 AEST 1988

Hi. I have a ATT-7300 running SVR3.51.  It is configured with one
phone line, that is used for both data and voice calls.  Every time I
try to use the async terminal emulator to call in to the college's
VAX, the program automatically goes from "voice 1 idle" to "data 1"
and tells me not to pick up until after the session is over.  Well,
after I log out, the screen shows "Call Ended-Hit Return", and then
shows "Checking for line 1 availability".  The line does not switch
back to voice mode!  The next time I try the terminal emulator, it
shows that the one data line is "in use, try again later".  I have to
log out, log in as install, and then deinstall (followed by reinstall)
the phone line to get it back to voice mode so that the emulator will
work again.  Is there anything I am doing wrong (or not doing) to keep
the line from returning back to the original state?  Is there anything
I can do to the 'ph' process (like send a signal) to make it realize
the data call is over, and to reset itself?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.
--
Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility