VP/ix

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Sat Nov 26 01:27:27 AEST 1988

In article <152 at ecicrl.UUCP> clewis at ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
|In article <6966 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
|>Also, is there any real documentation on using the virtual terminals?
|>It seems pretty silly to have to start a dos session just to get access
|>to them.
|
|Are you running Xenix or UNIX?
|
|You're supposed to have getty's sitting on the vt's (via UNIX inittab).
|Take a look at /etc/gettydefs to find the definitions that have the
|"VT0x!login" prompts.  If you're using a reasonably recent version of
|386/ix or AT&T UNIX (I think) there is a sysadm menu to change the
|number of virtual terminals.
|--
|Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada

I think that Chris is wrong about AT&T UNIX, but I hope he isn't.  I have
the gettydefs for virtual terminals but I can't get a getty to run on
them.  I am able to use them under VP/ix out of DOS, but that's only after
getting DOS going.

Is Chris correct?  Is there some way to get virtual terminals going on the
console in AT&T 386 UNIX?  If so, please post or email, that's about my
only real beef with the product.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM