VP/ix

~XT4103000~Frank McGee~C23~M24~6326~ fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Wed Nov 23 10:32:31 AEST 1988

In article <6966 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <144 at ecicrl.UUCP> clewis at ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>

>>Try some harder ones like programs doing direct video ram writes, Microsoft
>>Windows, Wordstar, WordPerfect, Lotus, Symphony and I have it from a
>>relatively reliable source that a VP/ix session will now run NOVELL client
>>with arbitrary ethernet cards!

[.......]
>Does anyone know the parameters to let dos under vp/ix talk to a network
>card?  (I want to run as a client on an "old-style" starlan net and the

I'd sure like to know how they got the ethernet clients going under
Simultask.  There are hooks to provide access to hardware
boards/devices without going through Unix (IEM and DDA) but from what I
understand they shouldn't work in this case.  The official stance on
Simultask network connectivity is that the only connectivity is by
using RFS, and that only allows read-write access; no true file
sharing/serving or record/file locking.  The redirector that comes with
Simultask does not support any DOS NETBIOS calls.

>Also, is there any real documentation on using the virtual terminals?

Probably what you are looking for is the 'newvt' command.  It creates
another virtually terminal session.  There's also something like a
"vtgetty".  My info indicates there should be man pages for these, but
my documentation is still in a mass of about 10,000 uncolated pages (:-).

Hope this helps you out,

Frank McGee
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support
attmail!fmcgee