Hardware Question

John Canning john at banzai.UUCP
Wed Nov 16 03:53:05 AEST 1988

In article <3608 at ihuxz.ATT.COM> era at ihuxz.ATT.COM (Eric R. Anderson) writes:
>I see fancy boards advertised which have ports, memory,
>and all sorts of things.  How compatible is the hardware in
>my 6300+?  Can I buy boards from manufacturers other than AT&T?
>If so, what do I look for?

The 6300+ was introduced with a 16 bit bus before there was a standard
from our friends at IBM.  Of course, the two busses differ in their
physical look.  In other words, a 16 bit board for an AT will not
run in a 6300+ and vice versa.  8 bit boards will work, however.

So, you can buy 8 bit boards from manufacturers other than AT&T.

>From experience, I have not found a RAM board manufactured by anyone
but AT&T which will work in the 6300+.  Also, if you want to put in
your own video controller, you have to go through a bunch of
contortions to disable AT&T's built in controller, as it connects
the bus to the mother board.

John Canning
The People's Computer Company
Burlington, Vermont