adding memory to 6386E

Dave Levenson dave at westmark.UUCP
Sun Nov 27 12:50:16 AEST 1988

In article <697 at varian.UUCP>, david at varian.UUCP (David Brown) writes:
> My 6386E came with 80ns chips in the 1st 2mb (supplied by AT&T)
> and 100ns chips in the 2nd 2mb (installed by the retailer).
> The Hotline tells me that we would not see any speed
> improvement by using 80ns vs. 100ns - does anyone know if this is true?

This is true.

The speed is determined by the processor and its clock, not by the
memory chips.  The speed rating on the memory chips indicates their
fastest speed.  The CPU requires that the memory cycle in not more
than 100 nsec.  If your memory cycles faster, the CPU won't notice
the difference, and will still allow them 100 nsec.

If your memory takes longer than 100 nsec. to cycle, (e.g. if you're
using 120 nsec parts) then the CPU will be attempting to read from
memory faster than the memory will cycle, and you'll get memory
errors.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney