AT&T 6386 Mother Board Floppy Controller

XMP12-M.CRIPPS mcripps at mtuxo.att.com
Fri Nov 11 08:29:56 AEST 1988

In article <113 at wybbs.UUCP>, dpj at wybbs.UUCP (Deloy Johnson) writes:
(lines deleted)
> on the controller board.  My question is, does anyone know if it is possible to
> disable the floppy controller on the mother board or if Adaptec makes a control-
> ler board without the floppy controller?  We've tried contacting both AT&T and
> Adaptec, but niether have been of much help, yet.

I perused the Service Manual and Hardware Reference manual for the 6386
and all I could find was a set of jumpers labled "Floppy disk controller
VCO clock" located at Z12LU on the motherboard (that's upper left hand corner
when the connectors at the back are facing up).  Unfortunately, nowhere
can I find a description of what they do, why they are there, and what
would happen if you monkeyed with them.

This appears to be the extent of the official documentation on the matter
(unless I can't find the right page).  Anyone else out there know something
that we don't????

Mike Cripps
mtuxo!mcripps