adding memory to 6386E

XMP12-M.CRIPPS mcripps at mtuxo.att.com
Wed Nov 23 02:30:49 AEST 1988

In article <357 at cpsc55.ATT.COM>, del at cpsc55.ATT.COM (Dave Lindsey) writes:
> In article <2258 at ethos.UUCP>, gary at ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) writes:
> >
> > In adding memory to the 6386E, is it necessary to purchase an add-on
> > board, or can memory chips be added into the empty sockets on the
> > original board?  I have a couple of the 1MB "Simm Kits", but the
> > computer fails to recognize the memory when I simply plug them into
> > the empty sockets.  No instructions came with the simm kits.
>
> Yes - you can plug the 1 Meg SIMMs into open slots on a memory board.
> Yes - you need to flip a few dip switches on the board AND run the UNIX/DOS
> setup program to properly recognize the memory.
> You can call the AT&T hotline for detailed help.
>
> Dave Lindsay, AT&T
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
First off, "Hi Dave" from XT1145000.

Next, to save you a call to the hotline, here are the switch settings:

Capacity	Switch L07LL	Switch L06LL
1 MB		01100000	00000000
2 MB		01000000	00010000
4 MB		00000000	00110000

This is for the built in memory board and 256K SIMMs (the 1MB "Simm Kits"
come with 4 256K SIMMs).  You can only put 1, 2 or 4 MB of memory on
one of these boards (3 MB won't work).  When looking at the board with
the connectors pointing down, switch L07LL is on the left.

If you are not putting 4MB on the board, you have to place the modules
in the right slots on the board, or else it won't work.  The board is
broken up into 4 banks of 1MB each, and all slots for a bank must be
occupied before another bank can be added.  Here is a diagram of how
banks are mapped to slots on the board.

	0 --------------		------------- 3
	1 --------------  L07LL  L06LL  ------------- 2
	2 --------------		------------- 1
	3 --------------		------------- 0
	0 --------------		------------- 3
			(connectors at bottom)

All of the bank 0 slots must be filled before the bank 1 slots can be
filled, etc. etc.

This is courtesy of the 6386 service manual.  Hope it helps.

Mike Cripps
AT&T Bell Laboratories
mtuxo!mcripps