adding memory to 6386E

David Brown david at varian.UUCP
Fri Nov 25 06:37:32 AEST 1988

In article <357 at cpsc55.ATT.COM>, del at cpsc55.ATT.COM (Dave Lindsey) writes:
> In article <2258 at ethos.UUCP>, gary at ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) writes:
> >

> Yes - you can plug the 1 Meg SIMMs into open slots on a memory board.

Just a quick warning - make sure that the RAM chips on your SIMMs are
100ns or faster.  I tried some 120ns SIMM's from a desktop 6386 in a
6386E; the memory diagnostics passed OK, but I got unexplained panics minutes
after bringing up UNIX.   This is because the 6386E (tower) runs at
20mhz, vs. 16mhz for the desktop 6386.  You can tell the speed by
looking at the part # on the chips - if it ends with something like -12,
it's 120ns, etc.

My 6386E came with 80ns chips in the 1st 2mb (supplied by AT&T)
and 100ns chips in the 2nd 2mb (installed by the retailer).
The Hotline tells me that we would not see any speed
improvement by using 80ns vs. 100ns - does anyone know if this is true?

--
David Brown	 415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems 1995 University Ave. Suite 350 Berkeley CA 94704