6386 and Dead Priam Hard Drive

jeff at gistdev jeff at gistdev
Sat Nov 12 11:23:00 AEST 1988

We have a BIG problem:

We have an AT&T 6386WGS running ISC 386/ix with a Priam ID130-AT 133MB Hard
Disk, Western Digital WD1006-WAH Hard Disk Controller, 4MB memory,
Versanet-40 ports card, Micom Ethernet card, IEV Video-overlay combo and a
Paradise EGA-480 video card.  The disk is partitioned with 8MB swap, 20MB
"/" , 52MB "/usr" and 52MB "/usr2".

Our problem is this: the disk died.  It looks like an area under "/" went
bad.  We can boot to a point where most drivers are loaded and then we get
a panic trap.  The VTOC seems to be scrozzed as well.

As far as we can tell, /usr and /usr2 are ok.  We have some VERY important
source code under /usr2 that for some stupid reason (cost of media) wasn't
backed up for over a month and a half.  Considerable development went on
during that time and now we have a deadline to release the program and we
can't get at it.

Is it possible to mount the /usr2 partition on another machine running the
same configuration? If so, how do we do it?

If that isn't possible, I have heard of a company in Minnesota (I think)
that specializes in recovering data from crashed disks.  Does anyone know
anything about this?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

#include <disclaimer.h>

Jeff Johnson
Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive
Savoy, IL  61874
(217) 352-1165

ARPANET: jeff%gistdev%gistqa at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu