Voice Recognition

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Sat Nov 12 13:53:40 AEST 1988

>>Lenny Tropiano writes:
>>Voice Recognition, how?  That's the question... Since my
>>involvement with the Voice Power product on the UNIX pc, I've learned
>>a lot.  Learning bits and pieces about CODEC's, PCM (pulse code modulation),

>Charles Brunow writes:
>	Ultimately the process probably consists of determining the
>	coefficients for the filter nodes and looking for the best
>	match with the set of known words and updating the coefficients
>	either completely or with a damping factor for learning.

Vern Hoxie (me) writes:
	I am also interested in trying to unlock the mysteries of speech
recognition by computer.  The method I have considered using was to
build a set of files of the various phonemes.  These would be extracted
from recorded phrases by a variety of voices.  The extraction procedure
would be using an editor similar to the 'voice editor' supplied with the
voice software.
	After a significant supply of samples, I would try a number of
analytical tools such as a Fast Fourier Transform, envelope curve
matching etc.  There would be a lot of just looking at wave patterns and
filter outputs to try to recognize something distinctive about each
phoneme.
	The next step would be to mold these phonemes into English
spelling.  This would require a very impressive dictionary.  Because of
this requirement, I thought of the comp.cog-eng group on USENET and
decided to cross-post this discussion to them with the hope that they
may review my short outline above and offer suggestions and point us in
a direction where we will have the best possibility of success.
	I really don't expect our unix-pc's to be able to do real time
conversions.  Hardware of the nature of Job's NeXT machine or something
more specific will be required for that.  However, getting a reasonable
text entry from voice input in a day or two would be an encouraging
first step.
--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780