HELP with 7300 hard disk PLEASE

Clarence Dold cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM
Wed Nov 2 03:42:26 AEST 1988

>From article <335 at argon.UUCP>, by ebh at argon.UUCP (Ed Horch):
> In article <1311 at plx.UUCP> walt at plx.UUCP (Walt Novinger ) writes:
>>My 7300's 40MB Seagate ST251 hard disk suddenly went south the other day,
>>and I have to get the data off it, if possible.  I tried running the
>>diagnostics disk to test the drive, and it fails on the "recal" test.
>
> The disk may be fine.  Early in argon's career, the same "can't recal"
> message made me think I had lost my drive.  Two drives and mother-
Another possibility is that block zero is gone.
The 7300 reads block zero to get the physical attributes of the drive,
placed there by iv.  This is how you can change drive types without
reconfiguring any tables; the table is on the drive.  Unfortunately,
the loss of one block means that the drive is inaccessible.

If you can 'force' a write of a valid VHB to block zero, you might recover
the drive.
Convergent's new machines have an 'iv -o' option just for this purpose.

Disclaimer:  I don't with the 7300 officially.  I am basing this on
similarities with our other machines.

--
Clarence A Dold - cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 435-5274
                ...pyramid!ctnews!professo!dold         MailStop 09-031