HELP with 7300 hard disk PLEASE

Ron Stanions sauron at dsoft.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 05:46:39 AEST 1988

In article <383 at uncle.UUCP>, jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
> In article <1311 at plx.UUCP> walt at plx.UUCP (Walt Novinger ) writes:
> >My 7300's 40MB Seagate ST251 hard disk suddenly went south the other day,
> >and I have to get the data off it, if possible.  I tried running the
> >diagnostics disk to test the drive, and it fails on the "recal" test.
>
> Are you absolutely sure it's spinning up? I have heard of drives where the
> baking mechanism stickes to the spindle on shutdown and the next time you
> power it up, it won't spin up. If it won't spin up, it won't try to move the

I have a drive on my own IBM that has a problem with spinup, but the
problem stems from the motor being weak.  If it's a spinup problem, then
listen closely to your computer when you start it.  If you hear it
trying to spinup and then shut down again, then turn off the computer
for about five seconds and turn it on again.  The idea here is to turn
it on before the last attempt at spinup comes to a complete halt.  The
speed taken from the last spinup adds to the second attempt and it's
just enough to push it over that fatal edge and get it going.  I've been
running this drive this way continuously with no errors beyond spinup
problems since then, and that may be all that you have to do.

--
   --Sauron, sauron at dsoft.UUCP   \_/\--/\_/    All things posted by me are
 ...rutgers!galaxy!dsoft!sauron   < \  / >    by-products of a deranged mind