disk drive

Gary Sanders gws at n8emr.UUCP
Wed Nov 23 03:07:05 AEST 1988

	Craig Votova (cmv at looney or att!looney!toons!cmv) is having
problems posting to the net so he ask me to relay this info on to you.

I've been able to do some playing around with a couple of pretty neat
hard disk drives from Control Data Corp. that I thought the net at large
would like to hear about, so here's a little blurb on these babys.

These are half-height 3.5 inch hard drives that can have up to 100MB of
storage (~83MB formatted). They are incredibly fast with an advertised
average seek time of 16.5ms, they are sturdy, fairly quiet, and use a
very small amount of power. I had the 100MB version running in my unixpc
over the weekend, and it worked great! The exciting thing about this is
that with the half height case for the unixpc, you could fit 2 of these
drives (sideways) in place of the 1/2 height 5.25" drive, and power both
off of the existing unixpc power supply! That will be a pretty attractive
deal once John tells us how to configure the motherboard for more than one
hard disk.

I tried the drive in my unixpc using both the WD1010 and WD2010 hard disk
controller chips, both worked fine. I only had it formatted for 8 heads and
1024 cylinders though, since I haven't had a chance to upgrade my new
motherboard yet. The price on this drive should be around $1000.00, and it
should be available now.

Here are the specs...

CDC Swift (tm) 3.5" Half Height 55/100MB ST506 Hard Disk Drives:

Model:                       94355-55        94355-100
Unformatted (bytes):         55,829,760      100,493,568
Formatted (bytes):           46,653,440      83,976,192
Ave. Seek Time (Ms):         16.5            16.5
Recording Method:            MFM             MFM
Tracks/Cylinder:             5               9
Cylinders:                   1072            1072
Sectors/Track:               17              17
Bytes/Sector:                512             512
Data Transfer Rate:          5Mbits/sec      5Mbits/sec
Rotational Speed:            3600 RPM        3600 RPM
Average Latency              8.33ms          8.33ms

POWER
Voltage:                +5VDC               +12VDC
Regulation:             +/-5%               +/-5%
Noise Immunity:         50mV                100mV
Max. Operating Current: 0.6A                0.8A
Typical Op. Current:    0.4A                0.7A
Max. Initial Current:   0.75A               2.0A

I've also had these running in AT&T 6312 boxes with no problems either. Some very impressive results were printed when we ran the spinrite(tm) program
on it. I can post these results if there is enough interest.

Feel free to send mail to me if you have any further questions on this drive,
I'd be happy to try and answer them.

-Craig Votava

[att!]looney!cmv

--
Gary W. Sanders (osu-cis!n8emr!gws, gws at osu-cis) (cis) 72277,1325
(packet) N8EMR @ W8CQK  (ip addr) 44.70.0.1