All right! and 1.2M floppies; HwNote05

Geoffrey B Hoese gbh at juniper.uucp
Sat Oct 22 12:48:00 AEST 1988

In article <281 at bagend.UUCP> jan at bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) writes:
>[ discussion of substituting 3.5 inch drive for 5.25 ,
>and how to format for 800 sectors ]

	I've tried this, thinking it would work, but
no luck. iv reports an i/o error, and a message stating
that "...Drive door open or no disk in drive..." is sent
to /dev/error. The drive select light does come on, though,
and the motor spins, also the head retracts to trk. 0 when
iv starts. This doesn't work when the drive select jumper
is set to 1, so I assume the machine is looking for d0.

	I'm using a teac drive, model FD-135FN-75-U.
Is there something about this drive (a jumper, perhaps?)
that needs to be set? (I have tried various jumper settings,
but, alas, no docs) Alternately, is there a difference
between motherboards that could be responsible?
I don't know specifically what motherboards are out there,
but if it helps, mine's a 7300 with 512K from DDS. I'm
waiting for a good way to upgrade memory without desoldering
all those chips, and quickly pulled the 10mb drive and
put in a 30mb cdc in an external case. Excellent speed
improvement there, how much does memory help the speed
here? (give it a 10-scale).

	Thanks in advance,
		Geoff Hoese

--

Geoffrey Hoese		gbh at juniper.UUCP
2105 Arpdale		{allegra,ctvax,im4u}!ut-sally!ut-emx!juniper!gbh