Verbose modems (Re: MORE 6386 UUCP WOES)

Every system needs one terry at wsccs.UUCP
Sun Oct 30 10:21:32 AEST 1988

In article <889 at vsi.COM>, friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> In article <5042 at cbmvax.UUCP>, ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:
> > I disagree.  Having "result codes" on a dialin modem on a Unix
> > system is a pretty stupid idea, for the above mentioned reason
> > (Modem sends "CONNECT" message to the computer ... computer thinks
> > "CONNECT" is a login name, etc.).
>
> It is certainly a drag to be stuck in upper case because
> RING was seen as a login.  To combat this, we set our modems
> to give digit result codes instead of verbose ones; we've
> been quite pleased except that it's harder to debug the
> outgoing dialing...

Urg.  My suspicions confirmed.  Nobody is reading anything anybody else
is posting.

IF you have your modem set up correctly, it will not raise DCD until after
	it has sent the result code.

IF you have your UNIX set up correctly, all input prior to the modem raising
	DCD will be thrown away, as the open has not completed.

IF you open your port correctly when dialing out, the open will not hang and
	you will be able to read() and write() the modem fd without DCD present.

IF you have your UNIX set up correctly, it will drop DTR when the port is not
	open or in the process of being open.

If you have your modem set up correctly, the modem will be reset by a DTR drop,
	thereby making it a moot point that your dialer has turned on result
	codes anyway.  Your dialer could set ANY settings it wanted to without
	it effecting dial in, as long as the permanent modem settings were
	correct for dial in.

	terry at wsccs