First impressions: 3B2 120MB SCSI tape drive

Len Rose len at netsys.COM
Tue Oct 25 22:09:17 AEST 1988

pim at ctisbv.UUCP (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

"All of us who upgraded from 3B2/400s to 3b2/500s or 3b2/600s
 know how much nicer/better/faster the built-in 60MB SCSI
 cartridge tape drive is over the 23MB floppy-drive-emulating tape thing
 used in the 400."

 Will the 60 MB scsi tape drive fit in the same physical location as
 the older 23 mb drive. I.E. If I buy a scsi tape can I install it
 in place of the old drive.

"While I'm on the subject of comparing SCSI devices for the 3B2,
 AT&T sells both native SCSI hard disks and ESDI hard disks that
 need a SCSI-to-ESDI thing like the ones that come with the
 3B2/600. Does anybody have experience with both types?"

  Whose drives does AT&T use.. CDC or?

  Has anyone been successful in using other brands of drives than the
  one supplied by AT&T for the SCSI XM packages.. I understand that
  if you want to use ESDI drives with the SCSI controller you have to
  use some sort of bridging adapter. We have some Micropolis 1355's
  (170 mb) that we would like to use and I am wondering if they can be
  made to work with the AT&T scsi interface. Is the bridging adapter
  (for scsi to esdi) available seperately?

Len Rose - Netsys,Inc.
len at ames.arc.nasa.gov  or len at netsys.com