changing mail directory

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Fri Oct 14 03:19:25 AEST 1988

In article <2126 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> mmengel at cuuxb.UUCP (Marc W. Mengel) writes:
>In article <484 at genesis.ATT.COM> andys at shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) writes:
>>>Not if you use smail.
>>
>>Ah, but what was the original question?  How can one change the mailbox
>Well, actually, for local mail deleivery only you could just use
>the following script,

How about the easiest way of all: patch the executable! The string "/usr/mail/"
only appears once in my (UNIXpc) version. You would be limited to 10 characters,
of course. The program bpatch, buggy though it is will do this just fine. The
same patch would have to be applied to /etc/smgr on the UNIXpc if you still
want the letter icon to come up correctly. The string appears three times there.
Any other programs that reference that directory, as long as they have the
entire path in one place, could be fixed this way.

One of my favorite file-name-in-the-executable path changes was to patch
/usr/lib/uucp/*getty to change the /dev/syscon reference to /dev/error. This
way the error comes up in a nice clean window instead of flashing a new window
for a second.

John (there's always an easier way) Milton
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
home (614) 294-4823, work (614) 764-4272;  Send vi tricks, I'm making a manual