Fudging binaries

Obnoxious Math Grad Student weemba at garnet.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 14 21:08:56 AEST 1988

In article <2965 at ci.sei.cmu.edu>, pdb at sei (Patrick Barron) writes:
>[...] change it in the binary.  Just as long as the string you're
>changing is of equal or greater length than what you're changing it to,
>you'll be fine.  Be careful not to change the total size of the file.
>Sort of grody, but it works.

Long ago I wrote a fudge.c that takes octal addresses (gleaned from
`od -s') and then does the above interactively and safely.  I still
have it around somwhere, in case anyone is interested.  I wrote it
to change the rogue monsters to faculty names, and to cheat on the
die rolls.  It was kind of fun to watch people surprised by killer
hobgoblins.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720