Windows/286 2.1 on a Bernoulli

Todd Stewart todd at metheus.UUCP
Wed Oct 26 06:59:09 AEST 1988

In article <1988Oct12.230551.11667 at cs.rochester.edu> ciaraldi at cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) writes:

>INSTALL is supposed to figure out how your hardware is set up;
>can we move the files to a different computer
>without a problem, even though the hardware is different?

You can defeat the auto-config feature of setup 2.1 by using the "-n" switch
on the command line.  This will make setup act more like the 2.03 versions
which ask you questions about all your hardware.  You can therefore run setup
on a machine other than the one you actually intend to use.

>Maybe we can just change the WIN.INI file.

Sorry, but it's not that simple.  Setup acts something like a linker, pulling
in gdi.exe, kernel.exe, user.exe, and a lot of drivers, fonts, etc to make
the following binaries:

	win.com, win200.bin, win200.ovl, winoldap.mod, winoldap.grb

If you run setup -n on a regular PC with hard disk, you should then be able
to xcopy the entire directory onto your bournoulli.  Don't forget the PIF
subdirectory....

	Todd Stewart
	Metheus Corporation