3B2 Floppy Key Problem

Gregg Siegfried grs at alobar.ATT.COM
Tue Oct 18 07:26:42 AEST 1988

In article <1094 at psu-cs.UUCP> paulm at psu-cs.UUCP (Paul Mauvais) writes:
>Someone in charge of the 3B2 before me changed the hardware
>password to something different from the default, and now
>no one knows what.  So, I follow the nifty manual directions
>and use my floppy key to reset the NVRAM.

In order to find the firmware password (I don't know of a hardware
password) if one can log in as root, just use the crash(1M) program.
The crash command "nvram fwnvr" will display various firmware
parameters, among them the firmware password.  This works for my 600
running 3.1.1.  I haven't used an earlier 3B2 release in a long time,
so I don't remember if that particular crash command existed previously.
I would hope so.

Enjoy,
Gregg

--
 Gregg Siegfried            | Nothing I say should be construed as AT&T
 AT&T - Cincinnati          | policy or opinion .. I just hack here.