Verbose modems (Re: MORE 6386 UUCP WOES)

Dave Levenson dave at westmark.UUCP
Sat Oct 22 12:25:47 AEST 1988

In article <889 at vsi.COM>, friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> In article <5042 at cbmvax.UUCP>, ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:
> > (Modem sends "CONNECT" message to the computer ... computer thinks
> > "CONNECT" is a login name, etc.).
> It is certainly a drag to be stuck in upper case because
> RING was seen as a login.  To combat this, we set our modems
> to give digit result codes instead of verbose ones; we've
> been quite pleased except that it's harder to debug the
> outgoing dialing...

There is a simpler solution, for UNIX Sys V Rel 2.5 on the 6300PLUS.
Perhaps it also applies to the 6386.  In your inittab, when you
spawn uugetty on the modem, set option -d<n> with a value in seconds.
This causes uugetty to ignore characters for <n> seconds before
prompting for login.  I generally use uugetty -d8 to pause 8 seconds
after answering before prompting.  This means that the modem can
generate the RING message, and then the CONNECT	message that results
from the modem handshake, before I expect a login name.  Verbose
mode works fine with this option.   I find verbose mode makes the
dialer script a bit more robust.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney