Verbose modems (Re: MORE 6386 UUCP WOES)

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Oct 20 07:36:18 AEST 1988

In article <727 at wsccs.UUCP> terry at wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) writes:
>UNIX on, DTR high, phone rings:	Modem answers the phone.  Connection
>					occurs.  Modem sends "CONNECT"
>					message to the computer.
 [ ... ]
>			[                               Turning off   ]
>			[    result codes is a bad idea, since it can ]
>			[    keep you from dialing out.               ]

I disagree.  Having "result codes" on a dialin modem on a Unix
system is a pretty stupid idea, for the above mentioned reason
(Modem sends "CONNECT" message to the computer ... computer thinks
"CONNECT" is a login name, etc.).

There is no reason for the "result codes" to be turned on except
when dialing out.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com